When it comes to comfort food, my go to recipe is a kootu. I love eating hot kootu with rice and paruppu. I make kootu on lazy days when I am not in a mood to cook anything elaborate. Kootu makes up for a complete meal and is very filling as well. The Mor kootu is something similar to aviyal except for I have made it just with possanikkai / ash gourd here. We could use the same recipe to make mor kootu with snake gourd, cabbage or a mixture of vegetables.
Preparation time – 10 minutes
Cooking time – 30 minutes
difficulty level – easy
Ingredients to make Poosanikkai Mor Kootu – serves 4
- Poosanikkai / Ash Gourd / White pumpkin – 3 cups (chopped into 1/2 inch pieces)
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Yogurt (preferable a little sour) – 1 cup (whisked with 1/2 cup of water)
- Salt – to taste
To Grind into paste –
- Coconut – 1/2 cup
- Cumin seeds – 1 1/2 tsp
- Green chilies – 4 to 5
- Raw rice – 1 tsp
To season –
- Oil – 2 tsp (preferable coconut oil)
- Mustard seeds – 1tsp
- Ullutham paruppu / Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Asafetida – a pinch
Procedure to make Poosanikkai Mor Kootu –
- Chop the ash gourd / poosanikkai into bite size cubes. Place it in a pan with about 1/2 cup of water and turmeric powder.
- Let the vegetable cook until they are soft.
- Meanwhile, grind the coconut, green chilies, cumin seeds and rice into a smooth paste. You could add a little water when grinding.
- Combine this mixture with the whisked yogurt and keep it ready
- Once the vegetable is cooked well, drain any excess water. Add salt needed and the coconut mixture and let the kootu simmer for flavors to combine.
- Heat oil for seasoning and add the seasoning ingredients. Add it to the simmering kootu.
- Serve hot with rice , paruppu (dal) and ghee!