In the quest to conquer the abundance of apples in our house, this is yet another recipe that I turned towards. I made this recipe taking the inspiration from this website which was slightly different from many other recipes that I saw online. The chef here used peaches and I used apples instead. The recipe I found here is a German method of making the Apple strudels. Adding the walnuts to the strudel gave the recipe a very nice layer of flavor. The procedure is very simple since we are using the store bought puff pastry sheet. Give it a try and let me know how it worked for you.
Preparation time – 15 mins
Cooking time – 45 mins
Difficulty level – medium
Ingredients – (serves -6)
- Apples (peeled and chopped) – about 1 ½ cups (2 apples)
- Puff pastry sheet – 1 sheet (thawed to room temperature)
- Cinnamon – ½ tsp
- Sugar – 2 tbsp
- All purpose flour – 1 tbsp
- Egg – 1
- Walnuts – 1/4th cup (chopped finely)
- Brown sugar – 2 tbsp
- Bread crumb – 1 tbsp
- White sugar – 1 tbsp
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Peel, core and chop the apples to about ½ inch cubes. Place them in a bowl and add the cinnamon, sugar, and flour. Give it a good mix and keep it aside for about 30 mins so that all the flavors can come together.
- In another bowl combine all the ingredients for the nut layer and keep aside. I instead of chopping the nuts gave it a pulse in the mixer.
- Thaw the pastry sheet to room temperature and roll it out on a well floured surface to about 12 x 14 inches.
- Sprinkle the nut layer on the sheet covering one half of the sheet vertically. Be sure to leave about an inch on the sides.
- Then layer it with the prepared apple mixture.
- Life up one side of the pastry sheet and start rolling it into a log. Lay it on the baking sheet lined with parchment paper seam side down. Make sure to pinch the ends and tuck them under the log.
- Brush the top with egg wash. (Break open one egg and add about a tsp of water. Mix well and the egg wash is ready). Look below for substitutions instead of egg wash.
- Make several slices on top with a sharp knife for all the steam to escape. (This is very important if you do not want an explosion inside your oven).
- Put it in the oven and let it bake for about 40 to 45 mins or until golden brown.
- Cool it slightly on a wire rack.
- Serve it warm with a dollop of vanilla ice cream or with whipped cream.
- This could be made with any fruits like peaches, mixed berries and so on. So whatever is in season use it.
- This could be made egg less by using milk or melted butter as a glaze.