Summer brings lots of exciting family activities. One such activity we enjoy is Berry picking. Fresh berries have intense flavor and it is a fun snack. Blueberries and Strawberries are very predominant in the area we live. There are lot of desserts that use berries.
I always enjoy Blueberry muffins that I get from the stores, but worry about the fat and unwanted stuff in the muffins. This is a recipe that I came across the internet and it works great. The best part about this recipe is it takes only around 30 mins to make and is a great way to begin a weekend. We can use fresh or frozen blueberries.
Ingredients (Makes 12 large muffins)
For the Muffins
- All Purpose Flour – 11/2 cups
- Sugar – 3/4cup
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Baking powder – 2 tsp
- Vegetable oil – 1/3 cup
- Egg – 1
- Buttermilk – 1/3cup
- Blueberries (Fresh or Frozen) – 1 cup
For the Crumb Topping
- Brown Sugar – 1/2 cup
- All purpose flour – 1/3 cup
- Butter (Cubed) – 1/4cup
- Cinnamon – 11/2 tsp
- Preheat the Oven to 400F. Grease the muffin cups.
- Combine the dry ingredients.
- place vegetable oil in a 1cup measuring cup. Add the egg and enough buttermilk to bring it 1 cup mark. Mix this with the flour mixture.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Fill the muffin cups and sprinkle the crumb topping. (To make the crumb topping – combine all the ingredients in a flat bowl using a fork and keep mixing until it resembles bread crumbs)
- Bake for 20 -25 mins or until done. (Insert a toothpick in the center of the muffin and check if it comes out clean)