I have lot of recipes bookmarked from the Baking Mega Marathon. It might be months before I try out all the recipes that I have bookmarked. When looking for snack ideas to post for this month, I remembered this recipe that I had bookmarked from Sreevalli’s space. I love fried moong dal and every time I eat it, it reminds me of my childhood days when I used to eat this at the movie theater. Couple of decades back, before the days of pizzas and burgers, they used to sell this moon dal in tiny packets. I always wanted this during the interval break along with the wheel shaped spicy fryums.
I was in no mood to deep fry the moong dal and hence I loved the microwave version that she had posted. This recipe took me about 8 minutes in the microwave and overnight soaking of the moong dal. Very easy to make and it was a wonderful snack to eat on the go.
Preparation time – About 30 minutes minimum soaking time
Cooking time – about 8 minutes
Difficulty level – easy
Recipe adapted from – Ammaji Kitchen
- Moong dal / Payatham Paruppu – ½ cup
- Baking soda – ½ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Red chili powder – ½ tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Wash the moong dal and soak it along with baking soda for at least 30 minutes. I made two batches and once I soaked it for 2 hours and the other time I soaked it overnight. Both of them yielded similar results.
- Drain the dal completely and dry them as much as you can by placing it in kitchen towel. Make sure that the dal is as dry as you can get.
- Place the dried dal in a microwave safe wide bowl and add 1 tsp of oil to it. Mix well. I used my pyres 8 inch square baking pan.
- Microwave it on high for about 8 minutes, stirring it after each minute. The dal could lump up when baking, make sure you break the lumps and give it a good stir every minute.
- At the end of the 8 minutes, you will notice that the dal is all crunchy. Add salt and chili powder at this stage and mix well.
- Store in an air tight container and happy munching!