We are stepping into the next month and also beginning our 31st edition of Blogging marathon. I can’t thank enough all the BM members for making blogging this much fun. I am really enjoying every month of it and look forward to it every month. This month the first theme I am going to be doing is member’s choice. Srivalli had gathered information over the past few months about things that we always wanted to make, but never got to it. She compiled a list from those choices and we have to choose one to make for the next three days. The first one I have here is under the Casserole category.
One of my friends had mentioned this recipe from Allrecipes.com. The original recipe used zucchini, but I used eggplants instead since they are growing in abundance in my garden. Also I increased the spices and added a couple of my own twist to the recipe. The casserole served as a pot meal and I served it with some warm tortillas. This recipe is a very quick casserole recipe that can be made on a week day night with ease.
Preparation time – 15 mins
Cooking time – 35 mins
Difficulty level – easy
Ingredients – (serves 4)
- Eggplants – 2 cups (chopped)
- Onion – 1 large (chopped)
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Oregano – 1 tsp
- Chili powder – ½ tsp
- Garlic salt – ½ tsp
- Cooked rice – 1 cup
- Cooked Black beans – 1 cup
- Salsa – 1 ¼ cup
- Cheddar cheese – ¾ cup (shredded)
- Olive oil – 2 tbsp
- Heat oil in a large pan and add the onions and the eggplant. Sauté until the vegetables are tender (about 10 mins).
- Add all the seasonings and cook for 5 more minutes until fragrant.
- Now add the beans, rice and salsa and mix well. Cook until just heated through.
- Now add half of the shredded cheese and mix to incorporate.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (175 C).
- Transfer the ingredients to an 8 x 10 baking dish and top with the remaining cheese.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for about 20 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the casserole is bubbly.
- Set aside for about 10 minutes and then serve with some tortillas on the side.