Muffins are something I make very often as they make for a wonderful evening snack and also keep the kids filled up. Adding different fruits to the muffins adds a layer of flavor and color and the kids really enjoy digging in through the muffins. I always have some kind of frozen fruit in the freezer as my older one loves to have some in his morning cereal. Blueberries are something that I could never resist and I always end up making muffins before he gets to add some in his cereal.
I have a recipe for blueberry muffin in my blog, but that is a version with egg in it. Lately I have been making a lot of baking egg less recipes. This recipe is adapted from Rak’s kitchen. I have reduced the amount of oil from the original recipe and added milk instead. This recipe is eggless and also butter free. I have used a little bit of flax seeds in the recipe, as I always add some in any baking recipe. This is one wonderful way to use up flax seeds in our everyday diet.
Preparation time – 10 minutes
Cooking time – about 20 minutes per batch
Difficulty level – easy
Recipe adapted from – Rak’s Kitchen
Ingredients to make Blueberry Muffins – Makes 12
- Cake flour – 1 ½ cups + 1 tbsp
- Blueberries (frozen or fresh) – 1 cup
- Flax seed powder – 3 tbsp
- Plain yogurt – 1 cup (whisked lightly)
- Vegetable oil – ¼ cup
- Milk – ¼ cup (may need slightly more if the consistency of the batter is too thick)
- Sugar – ¾ cup
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Baking soda – ½ tsp
- Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
Procedure to make Blueberry Muffins –
- I have used cake flour in the recipe. If you do not have cake flour, you can make some at home using all purpose flour and corn flour. Use 3 tbsp of corn flour and then top it off with All purpose flour to measure 1 ½ cups together. Sieve this mixture couple of times so that the flours blend together.
- Add the flax seed powder to the flour and mix to combine.
- Add about a tbsp of flour to the blueberries and mix it. This step will ensure that the blueberries do not sink to the bottom of the mould when baking.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and grease the muffin tins. If using liners, place them in the tins and lightly spray.
- In a wide bowl, whisk together the yogurt and the sugar. Now add the baking powder and baking soda to the mixture and whisk. Let this rest for about 2-3 minutes. You will notice that the yogurt mixture will become a little frothy.
- Now add the vanilla extract, oil and milk and whisk well.
- Add the flour in 3 batches to the wet ingredients and mix gently after each addition. Check for the consistency and if it appears too dry add a tbsp or so of milk to bring it to pouring consistency.
- Add the blueberries to the batter and mix gently to combine.
- Scoop the batter and fill about ¾th of the muffin tin. Bake for 18 – 20 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool the muffins on wire rack and enjoy with a glass of milk.