Navarathri is fully underway and everyone is happy munching on sundals and enjoying the golu. Kondai kadalai sundal or vella kadalai sundal is one sundal that is a crowd pleaser. This sundal comes a long way when one is expecting a huge crowd coming to see their golu. I had around 15 families come over last night for golu and this was the sundal I made for around 45 people. Instead of just seasoning it plain, this sundal has ground masala that adds to the flavor of the sundal. Try this different sundal preparation and let me know your feedbacks.
I made this sundal from about 5 cups of kondai kadalai, but my write up is going to be for about a cup of kondai kadalai. Depending on how many people you are feeding double or triple the recipe.
Preparation time – overnight for soaking the chickpeas
Cooking time – 1 hour
Difficulty level – easy
Ingredients – serves 8
- Chickpeas/kondai kadalai – 1 cup
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Asafetida – ½ tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt – as needed
- Kadalai paruppu/Bengal gram dal – 2 tsp
- Coriander seeds – 1tsp
- Red chilies – 3
- Coconut (grated) – ¼ cup
- Wash and soak the chickpeas overnight in enough water.
- Cook the soaked chickpeas with required salt in pressure cooker for up to 3 whistles. Once the steam releases, check if the chickpeas are cooked. They should not be mushy but cooked soft. Then transfer the chickpeas in a colander and let it sit until all the water drains.
- Meanwhile, fry together all the ingredients mentioned above in about a tsp of oil and grind it in a mixer and keep aside.
- In a large pan, add about 2 tsp of oil and add the mustard seeds. Once the seeds sputter add the curry leaves and asafetida.
- Now add the drained chickpeas and mix well.
- Add the ground powder and give it a good mix until the powder coats all the chickpeas evenly.
- Tasty Sundal is now ready!