For the fourth week of the blogging marathon, I chose the theme pick one and make three. The ingredient I am going to use for the next three days is carrot. I have to make an appetizer, Gravy and desert with my chosen ingredient. For the day 1, I am making this Masala papad as my appetizer.
This recipe was in my personal recipe book for at least about 10 yrs. Long back I saw this recipe being made in some Indian cooking program and as soon I saw it I had made it once. After that for some reason I never made it again. When I was pondering over what to choose as my ingredient to work with for three consecutive days, my husband reminded me of this dish. I dug deep and found my old recipe book and found this recipe.
This is a very easy recipe with very minimal ingredients. This is a perfect crowd pleaser and can be served with tamarind chutney and green chutney. The ingredients I used are based on my family’s personal preference. This recipe can be altered or any other vegetable can be added or taken out depending on your liking.
Preparation time – 15 mins
Cooking time – 15 mins
Difficulty level – easy
Ingredients – (makes 10 papads)
- Lijjat papad (any variety) – 10 (I used the cumin and the Punjabi masala variety)
- Carrots – 2 (grated)
- Onion (small) – 1 (chopped finely)
- Bell pepper – ½ (chopped finely)
- Roasted peanuts – ¼ cup (crushed)
- Lemon juice – 1tsp
- Cilantro – 2 tbsp (chopped)
- Salt – a pinch
- In a bowl mix all the ingredients except the papad.
- Heat a tawa and roast a lijjat papad on one side. Press with a paper towel to evenly roast it on all the sides.
- Turn the papad to the other side and then place about 2 tbsp of the masala on the roasted side of the papad.
- Slowly start rolling the papad into a roll with the masala inside. When the papad is hot it will be very pliable and can be easily rolled.
- Masala papad is now ready. Serve as is or with Tamarind chutney and/or green chutney.
Do not make the masala papad too ahead of time since it will become soggy.