I found some fresh radish (mullangi) in my local Indian store. The radish was very tender with fresh greens attached to it. I usually remove the greens and just buy the radish, but this time I bought back the greens as well. I remember seeing a recipe in the Mallika Badrinath book for mullangi raita, but she had used raw radish. I wanted to jazz it up a bit and make the recipe.
The recipe paired very well with the Tomato Biriyani that I had made for lunch. My boy’s love radish and I often have to add a lot of it in the sambhar. I also make mullangi subzi to pair with roti’s.
My other recipes with radish –
Ingredients – (serves 4)
- White Radish – about 1 cup (greens separated and finely chopped)
- Yogurt – 2 cups (whisked)
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Chili powder – ½ tsp
- Roasted cumin powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Cilantro – 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
- In a small pan, heat the oil and sputter the cumin seeds. Now add the finely chopped radish and sauté it in medium flame for about 5-7 mins, until they are half way cooked and loses it raw smell.
- Now add the chopped greens and sauté for 2 more minutes. Then add the chili powder, cumin powder and salt and mix well. Fry further for a minute and then let it cool down a bit.
- In the meantime, whisk yogurt and keep it ready. Add the cooked radish to the yogurt and mix well. Also add the cilantro and mix well.
- Keep it chilled if using later, since the yogurt could turn sour if left outside.
- Serve as side with Biriyani or Pulao!