Ginger Chutney | Andhra Allam Pachadi
The flavor of ginger with the tangy tamarind and sweet brown sugar makes this Ginger Chutney | Andhra Allam Pachadi the best combination with Pesarattu, idli or dosai.
Servings: 6 people
- 3 inch piece Ginger choose tender ginger
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Chana dal / Kadalai Paruppu
- 2 tsp Urad dal / Ullutham Paruppu
- 4 Red chilies adjust based on spice level
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp Methi seeds / fenugreek seed
- 1 inch piece Tamarind
- 1 1/2 tbsp Brown sugar / Jaggery
- Salt – to taste
To season –
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 2 Red chilies can use 1 or 2
- few Curry leaves
Soak the tamarind in 1/4 cup of hot water for few minutes to make it softer.
Clean and peel the ginger and chop it roughly into small pieces.
In a pan, heat 2 tsp of oil and fry the lentils (chana dal and urad dal), red chilies, cumin, coriander seeds and methi seeds until aromatic and lightly brown.
Add the chopped ginger and give it a quick stir and turn off the flame. Do not fry the ginger too long as it will make it bitter. Let it sit in the hot pan with the rest of the ingredients until they all cool down to room temperature.
Transfer the cooled mixture to a mixer jar along with the softened tamarind, salt and brown sugar.
Grind it into a smooth paste adding just needed water. The Ginger chutney is usually a little on the thicker side.
Heat 1 tsp of oil in a small pan and add the seasoning ingredients. Add it to the chutney and serve with Pesarattu, Dosai or idli.
Expert Tips and FAQ's
- Use tender ginger for fresh flavor.
- Do not fry the ginger for a long time. Just give it a quick stir and turn off the flame. Frying the ginger too long makes it bitter.
- Do not skip the tamarind or the brown sugar. The chutney needs the tangy and sweet flavor to balance out the ginger.
Calories: 69kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 6mg | Potassium: 145mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 428IU | Vitamin C: 65mg | Calcium: 16mg | Iron: 1mg