Wraps are the easiest way to pack lunch or dinner when traveling. I make wraps once in a while for dinner and experiment with different fillings. Most of the times it is what I have in hand, but it will always include protein of some kind and few vegetables. I always happen to have canned beans in my pantry and this is how I use them.
When doing this theme of wraps and rolls for Blogging Marathon this month, I wanted to showcase this wrap as it finds its way in my menu at least once in month. I make it as a wrap or as quesadillas, depending on what my kids want for dinner. I happened to have couple of avocados in the refrigerator, so made some guacamole to go with it. If n a hurry, you could just slice the avocados and layer them in the wrap instead of making guacamole.
Preparation time – 10 minutes
Cooking time – 20 minutes
Difficulty level – easy
Ingredients – (Makes 8 wraps)
- Tortilla – 8 (burrito size)
- Black beans – 1 can (15.5 oz)
- Onion – 1 large (sliced thin)
- Bell pepper = 1 large (sliced thin)
- Jalapeno – 1 (seeds removed, finely chopped)
- Roasted cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Cilantro – a handful (finely chopped)
- Guacamole – 1 cup
- Mexican blend cheese – 1 cup
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
Make the filling –
- In a pan, heat the oil and then sauté the thinly sliced onions until translucent. Now add the sliced bell pepper and let it cook. Also add the jalapenos and sauté.
- In the meantime, drain and wash the black beans well and keep it aside. Once the vegetables are cooked, add the drained beans and mix well.
- Add salt needed and roasted cumin powder and mix well. Add the cilantro and remove from heat. Let it cool a bit.
- If making guacamole, get it ready!
- Warm the tortillas in microwave for about 30 seconds to make wrapping easier.
- Add a heaped tablespoon of guacamole on the centre of the tortilla and spread.
- Next add a heaped tablespoon (or two) of black bean and vegetable mixture and spread.
- Next goes the cheese. Now make a burrito style wrap. Start from the bottom and roll the tortilla on the top of the filling making a tight first roll. Now bring the two sides inside and then roll the tortilla to form a tight wrap.
- You could serve this as is, but I like to get it warmed on the griddle to get the cheese melting.
- Serve with salsa on the side!