Poori Masala is one of the very famous south Indian delicacy which is easy to make and absolutely kids friendly. Going back to my childhood days, whenever we go out to eat, we force our grandmother to come with us. Poori masala is the only thing that she would eat in a restaurant and it used to be an absolute pleasure to watch her enjoy the dish and eat. Even now when we go out and bring back food for her, this would be the one we would bring back for her. Patti, this one is for you
For the Poori – (makes around 20 pooris)
Aata (Wheat flour) – 2 cups
Salt – ½ tsp
Sugar – 2 tsp
Ajwain (carom seeds) – 2 tsp
Warm water – as needed to knead the dough
Oil – for deep frying the poori
For the Potato Masala – (serves approximately 4)
Potato – 4 medium
Onion – 1 large (Chopped)
Tomatoes – 2 (chopped)
Green chilies – 2 (Slit lengthwise)
Ginger – 1 inch piece (grated)
Green peas – About ½ cup
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Urad dal – 2 tsp
Asafetida – ½ tsp
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Chili powder – ½ tsp
Curry leaves – few
Cilantro – few (Chopped)
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1 tblsp
To make the Poori
- Mix all the ingredients except water in a bowl. Add the warm water little by little and make it into soft dough. The dough for the poori has to be slightly wet. This enables fluffy pooris. Moisture in the dough forms steam when deep frying which in turn fluffs up the pooris.
- Let the dough rest for 15 mins. In the mean time heat the oil in a deep pan. Roll the dough into small circles and deep fry them until slightly brown on both sides. Drain on a paper towel lined dish and serve hot with the masala.
To make the Potato Masala
- Boil the potatoes, peel the skin and then mash it with a fork or a potato masher. Do not mash it too fine.
- Heat 2 tblsps of oil in a pan and add the seasonings (mustard, urad dal, asafetida, curry leaves). Then add the onions, green chilies and ginger. Sauté until the onions turn translucent.
- Then add the tomatoes, green peas along with salt, turmeric powder, chili powder and cook for about 5-7 mins.
- Now add the mashed potatoes and about a cup of water and let it simmer for about 10 mins. Depending on your preference, the consistency can either be thick or you can dilute it by adding more water. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with pooris.
Happy cooking !!!