There are several ways we could make vegetable Pulao. I came across this recipe in one of the Tamil magazine insert. It was not a bad choice and the outcome was pretty good. Everyone in my family liked it, so thought will share this recipe with you.
Preparation time – 10 mins
Cooking time – 30 mins
Difficulty level – easy
Ingredients (serves 4)
- Basmati rice – 1 cup
- Onion – 1 (chopped)
- Mixed vegetables – 1 cup (carrot, beans, cabbage, green peas etc)
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Green chilies – 3 (slit lengthwise)
- Chopped mint and cilantro leaves – a handful
- Fennel seeds (sombu) – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon – 1 stick
- Cloves – 3
- Cardamom/ elaichi – 3
- Yogurt – ½ cup
- Ghee – 2 tsp
- Oil – 2tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Soak the rice for about 30 mins. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai/pan; fry the fennel seeds, cinnamon. Elaichi and cloves. Now add the chopped onions, salt, ginger garlic paste and the green chilies and fry until the onions are translucent.
- Now add the rest of the vegetables. Mix well and cook for about 2 mins.
- Mix the yogurt with the drained rice and add it to the vegetables. Also add 1 ½ cup of water and mix well. Add the chopped mint and cilantro leaves.
- Transfer it to a cooker and let it cook for up to 2 whistles. You could also cook it on stove top or rice cooker.
- Once the rice is cooked add the ghee and fluff it up with a fork. Serve hot!!!