This is one more of my attempt to bake with apples. Instead of making the usual Apple pie, I wanted to make something that would make my boys happy. When I was talking to one of my dear friend, she mentioned that she has a very good recipe for Apple cake. She mailed the recipe to me right away and here I am couple of weeks later, made her recipe and awfully happy with it. Thanks Marybeth for the awesome recipe.
I made half the muffins with just the apples and to the other half I added the chocolate chips, only to please my dear husband. It was job well accomplished. He loved the muffins with the chocolate chips. This Apple - Chocolate Chip Muffins recipe also called for nuts, which I did not add.
Ingredients to make Apple - Chocolate Chip Muffins - Makes about 18 large or 36 mini muffins
- Apples (any cooking variety) – 3 cups (chopped)
- All purpose flour – 2 cups
- Vegetable Oil – 1cup
- Eggs – 2
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Baking soda – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon – 2 tsp
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Vanilla – 2 tsp
- Chocolate chip – 1 cup (optional)
- Nuts (walnuts, pecans or any nut of your choice) – ½ cup (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- Sift the flour with baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Keep aside.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs well and then add the sugar, vegetable oil and the vanilla to it. Mix well.
- Now add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir until well blended.
- Fold in the chopped apples, chocolate chips and nuts. In my case, I added the apples first, then filled half of my muffin pans and then added about ½ cup of chocolate chip to the remaining batter and then filled the remaining molds.
- Bake for about 35 mins at 325 F.
- Check if done by inserting a tooth pick to the center of the muffins. If the tooth pick comes out clean, then the muffins are done.
- Remove them from the muffin pans and cool the Apple - Chocolate Chip Muffins completely on a wire rack.
To make the recipe low fat, you could use this substitution instead of 1 cup of oil.
- ½ cup oil
- Less than ½ a cup of yogurt
- 3 tbsps of applesauce.