If you ask me for one of my favorite vegetables, the answer would be Beets. I just love beets and as weird as it might sound, I love beetroot curry with curd/yogurt rice. I guess I passed on my liking to my children. Both my kids love beets. So, one would think that this would be a common vegetable that I cook. Unfortunately, the answer is a big NO! Reason being, the cumbersome process of chopping the beets and how messy they can get. This was until few months ago when my mom passed on a very useful tip to process the beets. You will find this out shortly in my procedure…So keep reading 🙂
Preparation time – 10 mins
Cooking time – 30 mins
Difficulty level – easy
Ingredients – (serves 4)
- Beetroots – 4 to 5 small ones
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Black gram lentil/urad dal/ullathum paruppu – 1 tsp
- Red chilies – 2-3
- Curry leaves – few
- Salt – to taste
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Asafetida – ¼ tsp
- Coconut – 1/4th cup (grated)
- Wash the beets and pressure cook them for 4 to 5 whistles. Once cooked, remove it from the cooker and let come to room temperature. At this point you will notice that you can peel the skin of the beets just like you do for cooked potatoes.
- Peel the beets and chop them into small pieces. Cooking the beets makes the chopping very easy (I could make this curry every day.)
- Heat oil in a pan and add the seasonings (Mustard seeds, urad dal, red chilies, curry leaves, asafetida).
- Now add the chopped beets, salt and sugar. I always add sugar to any of my coconut based curry. Why? Because, my mother always adds sugar.
- Mix well and let it cook for 5 mins. Now add the grated coconut and mix it well.
- Take it off the flame and serve the beetroot curry!!!