Summer is in full swing and I wanted to come up with one more no cook dish for the bite size appetizer theme. We love cucumbers and also love the Mediterranean flavors. I had a box of roasted red pepper hummus in the refrigerator and that gave me an idea to use it up in the cucumber rolls. The rolls were very refreshing and were perfect for the hot summer day.
I also added some chopped pickled jalapenos inside the rolls for heat and that was something my older one really liked. This is my last recipe under the bite size appetizer theme.
It really helps to slice the cucumbers and then lay them on a paper towel for few minutes before rolling. This made the cucumbers a little dry and that allowed rolling easily. Also I would recommend refrigerating the rolls if not using right away.
Preparation time – 15 minutes
Cooking time – None
Difficulty level – easy
Ingredients to make Cucumber Rolls – Makes about 12 rolls
- Cucumber – 1 large (seedless would work great)
- Hummus – 4 -5 tbsp
- Pickled Jalapenos – few
Procedure to make Cucumber Rolls –
- Clean and peel the cucumber. Using the peeler, peel out long thin slices of the cucumber and lay then on paper towel. Seedless cucumbers would work great for the recipes. If using seeded ones, do not use the center part as they have more moisture and it becomes soggy.
- After about 15 minutes, spread a thin layer of hummus on the cucumber slices and then layer them with the jalapeno pieces.
- Start rolling the cucumber jelly style and plate them in a serving dish.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.