Pound cake is my favorite kind of cake that is free of any topping. I love the simple and clean flavors of the cake and when I bake it, I almost finish the whole thing myself. It is one of the few things that I fight with my boys to eat. This recipe looked very close to the pound cake that I have made except it had hot milk added to it. It was something very different that I have never done before and hence wanted to give it a try.
This week’s theme is to choose 3 recipes from the Taste of Home – Top 100 recipes. This is the first recipe that I chose and I was very happy with the outcome. I halved the recipe to make an 8 x 8 cake. Also, I noticed that my cake browned way too quickly on the top and hence I had to cover the top with foil and continue to bake. Other than this one tiny mishap this cake was a total hit at home and I ate more than half of it.
This cake would be perfect for summer outdoor picnics as it does not have any frosting and yet is very soft and spongy. We can serve it with some fresh berries and a dollop of whipped cream to make it an elegant dessert.
Preparation time – 10 minutes
Cooking time – 25 – 30 minutes
Difficulty level – easy
Recipe adapted from – Taste of Home
Ingredients to make Hot Milk Cake – (makes an 8 x 8 pan)
- All Purpose flour – 1 cup plus 2 tbsp
- Baking Powder – 1 ¼ tsp
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Eggs – 2 (large)
- Milk – ½ cup plus 3 tbsp
- Butter – 5 tbsp (cubed)
- Vanilla – 1 tsp
Procedure to make Hot Milk Cake –
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Mix the flour and baking powder in a bowl.
- Beat the eggs on high until it is thick (about 4 minutes). Gradually add the sugar and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and mix well.
- Add the flour mixture gradually until they are well combined and smooth.
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk and the butter. Heat the mixture in low flame until the butter melts and the milks bubbles up on the sides.
- Add this hot milk carefully into the batter and beat until combined.
- Pour the batter into a well greased 8 x 8 pan and bake for about 25 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. My cake started browning at the top at about 12 minutes and I had to cover the top of the pan with a foil to prevent it from burning.