After couple of days of instant idlies and dosais made with whole grains, I wanted to stick to the idea of using whole grains for my last instant dosai recipe as well. But this time, I made it a little fun for my family who loves sweet by making this instant sweet dosai made with Ragi flour or finger millet flour and whole wheat flour. All my kids wanted was a glob of butter on the side to eat these dosais.
Preparation time – 15 mins
Cooking time – 20 mins
Difficulty level – easy
Ingredients – (makes around 12 medium dosais)
- Ragi flour/ finger millet flour – ½ cup
- Whole wheat flour – ½ cup
- Rice flour – ¼ cup
- Vellam/jaggery – ¾ cup
- Cardamom powder – ½ tsp
- Dry ginger powder – ¼ tsp
- Coconut – 2 tbsp (grated)
- Oil or ghee – for making the dosai
- Heat about a 1 ½ cups of water and add the jaggery pieces to it. Let the jaggery melt and then turn off the flame and let the water cool down to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, cardamom powder, dry ginger water and grated coconut and to this add the jaggery water. Mix it well and adjust the water to make it into a dosa batter consistency.
- Heat a griddle or tawa and pour the prepared batter on to the tawa. Make a circle using the ladle by pushing the batter outwards. Add a little oil or ghee and cook the dosa. Flip it over and cook on the other side until the dosais are golden brown. Make sure that you cook the dosai in medium flame otherwise the jaggery will burn and become too brown.
- Repeat with the rest of the batter and serve hot with butter!