Just the name of the drink wants me to make a trip down to India and have this in the Mastani stores that are found all around on the streets of Pune. We are not a big fan of blended drinks in my family and my boys would rather eat the fruit than the juices. So why would I go through the task of making a fruit drink when they don’t really care about it.
I grew up in the Northern states in India and I remember drinking the Mango milkshake there which has fresh mangoes and ice cream. Those were days when a kid could just get excited about having a tall glass of mango milkshake. When thinking of gearing up of the summer months, these thoughts came to my mind and I wanted to recreate something along the lines of street food and my memories.
That is when I read about the specialty of this drink called the ‘Mastani’. I have my aunt and cousin living in Pune and it has been a while since I visited them. I talked to them over the phone yesterday and asked about the drink and that is when she mentioned that there are Mastani stalls all over Pune and they make Mastani drinks with many fruits. Mango seems to be the popular and me being in luck, found some fresh mangoes in the farmer’s market yesterday. Now we cannot even compare these mangoes with the sweet deliciousness of India, but hey, no complaints. We at least get mangoes here and that too year around.
I also bought a bag of frozen mangoes just in case the fresh ones were not sweet enough. I would highly recommend making this drink with fresh mangoes instead of the puree as the flavor is definitely better. If you don’t get fresh ones, buy the frozen mangoes as they work better than the puree as well. If you don’t find either, then use the pulp as the last resort.
I topped mine with some Vanilla ice cream, almonds, mango pieces and a cherry. The cherry was there only because I need to take pictures and they add a charm. I do not like cherries and that too when I have my favorite fruit mangoes in front of me.
I would definitely want to try the Mastani drinks when I go to Pune next and I already have my cousin all prepared for it. When I am there, I will be sure to taste few other flavors and then will decide which one is my favorite. Until then I am going to say this is by far the best drink I have made.
Preparation time – 5 minutes
Cooking time – none
Difficulty level – easy
Ingredients – (Serves 2)
- Mango pieces – 2 cups (I used a mixture of fresh and frozen)
- Milk – 1 cup (I used 2 %)
- Vanilla ice cream – 2 scoops plus 2 more scoops for topping the drink
- Sugar – 2 tbsp (more or less depending on the mango sweetness)
- Almonds and/or Pistachios – 1 tbsp
- Fresh mango pieces – few (for topping)
- Cherry – for topping (optional)
- Prepare two tall glasses and keep it aside.
- In the jar of the blender, add the mango pieces, milk and two scoops of ice cream along with sugar. I needed about 2 tablespoons of sugar as my mangoes were not too sweet. The ice cream scoop could be small or large depending on how creamy you like your drink. I had pretty large scoop in mine.
- Blend the mixture on high for about a minute.
- In the prepared glasses, add few pieces of chopped mangoes in the bottom. Next pour the blended drink until 3/4th full. Now top with a scoop of ice cream and add all the garnishes.
- Serve with a wide straw and a spoon. Enjoy the creamy deliciousness!