Tomato soup is the first thing that comes to my mind when someone says soup. I love tomato soup and I have two different tomato soup recipes already posted in the blog. The other day we had brought Panera Bread’s Chunky tomato soup from our local grocery store and it was delicious. I wanted to make something similar at home, so that is when I thought of roasting the tomatoes to bring out its natural sweetness out. The soup was a winner with some crusty bread on the side.
I also have used a small can of diced tomato along with roasted tomatoes. Also I had some basil left after making the delicious Focaccia Caprese and this was a perfect recipe to use that up.
My other tomato soup recipes –
Preparation time – 15 minutes
Cooking time – 1 hr 30 minutes
Difficulty level – easy
Ingredients – (serves 4-6)
- Tomatoes – 7-8 medium (quartered)
- Diced tomatoes (canned) – 1-15 oz can
- Onion – 1 medium (finely chopped)
- Garlic – 3 or 4 cloves
- Olive oil – 3 tbsp
- Crushed red pepper flakes – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Pepper – to taste
- Fresh basil leaves (chopped) – 1 cup (loosely packed)
- Parmesan cheese – to garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. In a baking sheet lined with foil, lay the quartered tomatoes and the garlic cloves and drizzle about 2 tbsp of olive oil over them. Add salt and pepper and give it a quick mix. Roast them for about 45 minutes.
- In a large soup pot, add the remaining oil and sauté the chopped onions until golden brown. Now add the canned tomatoes, roasted tomatoes with its juices and the basil and mix it well. Cook it for about 5-7 minutes and then add about 4 cups of water. Cook the mixture over medium low heat for about 30 minutes.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper and also add the crushed red pepper flakes. Get an immersion blender in and puree the whole mixture to the desired chunkiness. I left mine a little on the chunky side. If using a blender or a food processor, let the mixture cool down a bit and then puree it.Garnish with parmesan cheese if using!
- Serve hot with some crusty bread on the side.