Mexican dinners are very often made in my house and I love to include beans whenever I am making it. Usually for quick fixes on week nights, I just open a can of refried beans, heat it up and use it as a side, but lately we all have started to not like the refried beans. That is when I started making this black bean salad and it is definitely far more delicious than that can of refried beans.
If time permits and if I am well planned, I soak the black beans and cook them to make this salad. But, most of the times, I just used the canned black beans. I buy the ones with reduced sodium (salt) or the no salt ones. This way I have a control over how much salt I add. When using the canned ones, I wash the beans well under running water for few times and then use in the recipe. It is definitely a time saver and helps during unplanned meals.
This week, I chose the theme ‘Salads’ for the BM and this is my first salad for the week. Thanks to all these themes, I am able to be more creative and try out new dishes from different cuisines.
I have used chili powder in the recipe, but if preferred, you could use finely chopped jalapenos for the heat. Since I was serving this for my boys as well, I stayed away from the jalapenos, but if I was making it just for adults, I would definitely be using the jalapenos as it adds a very nice layer of flavor to the salad.
Preparation time – 5 minutes
Cooking time – 15 minutes
Difficulty level – easy
Ingredients to make Warm black bean salad – (serves 4 as a side)
- Black beans – 1 can (15.5 oz)
- Onion – ½ cup (finely chopped)
- Tomato – 1 (deseeded and finely chopped)
- Garlic – 1 clove (minced)
- Roasted cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Chili powder – ½ tsp
- Cilantro – 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Lime juice – 2 tsp (adjust as needed)
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
Procedure to make Warm black bean salad –
- Rinse the canned black beans well under running water.
- In a pan, heat the oil and add the chopped onions. Sauté until translucent and then add the minced garlic. Cook for 15 more seconds.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and cook for about 2 minutes until the tomatoes are slightly softened. Make sure that you don’t make it mushy. Add the dry spice powders and salt and mix well.
- Add the black beans and cook for 2 more minutes for flavors to combine. Add the chopped cilantro and give it one final mix.
- Take it off the flame and then add the lime juice. Mix to combine and serve.